“Go out with a bang” is the best phrase to describe these waffles. Ginny and I have decided to focus on a lower carb diet for several reasons and we needed to get our carb on with these waffles. We had some frozen strawberries for smoothie use and leftover cream cheese along with half a pint of whipping cream. Whipping cream is great, but you know what is even better??? Whipping cream with cream cheese blended in!
Compote is a fancy word for fruit boiled down with a bit of fruit juice and water. It’s an easy way to make your own fruit topping for waffles, pancakes and more breakfast items. It’s sooo much better than any jam or preserves you can find at the grocery store.
We threw in some bacon on the side because….well, it just seemed appropriate.
Ginny had a great idea with this waffle mix: whip the egg whites into stiff peaks and then add them to the other waffle mix ingredients. The result was a light and fluffy texture better than any Pomeranian and a lot less barky.
You could use any berry to make a compote. My favorites are blueberries, blackberries and strawberries. Our mulberry tree in the front yard finally sprouted leaves and we are hoping for some juicy mulberries with which we will make a mulberry compote later this summer. Stay tuned.
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES COOK TIME: 24 MINUTES SERVINGS: 4
- 2 cups flour
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tbsp. apricot preserves (a few tbsp. of orange juice also works)
- 2 tbsp. water
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Mix all dry waffle ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, separate the egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, mix yolks, oil, milk, vanilla and almond extract. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Fold in egg whites.
- Cook in waffle iron for about 6-8 minutes or until slightly browned.
- For the compote, heat all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until strawberries become mushy. Add more water if necessary.
- For the cream, beat the whipping cream until smooth and thick. Add soft cream cheese and mix in well. Top waffles with compote and cream. Enjoy!