Since I discovered delicious lemon tahini sauce, I have been looking for ways to use it. These quinoa chickpea bowls with lemon tahini sauce are the perfect, healthy veggie mix to use the lemon tahini sauce with. This recipe has quite a few ingredients, but don’t let the numbers fool you…it is really easy to make and prep time is not long.
I want to do at least one meatless dinner per week, but often have trouble coming up with new ideas for veggie dishes. The beauty of quinoa and chickpeas is that they go with so many other veggies and sauces so well. Also, they are packed with protein and fiber so they stay with you for a long time.
The spice mixture I used on these quinoa chickpea bowls with lemon tahini sauce is basically my blackening spice mix with some added turmeric for a savory punch.
As anyone that works full time and cooks weeknight meals can attest to, planning good meals that will satisfy the crowd for firsts and leftovers can be a challenge. These veggie bowls get gold stars in both categories.
I have found that slicing the red onions really thinly make them easier to digest and doesn’t overwhelm the other veggies. You can throw in some chopped herbs on these. I used some mint from our garden and it was fabulous.
PREP TIME: 25 minutes COOK TIME: 25 minutes SERVINGS: 5
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into bite size pieces
- handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- handful of small sweet peppers, slice thin
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 handful mint, chopped
- 1 lemon
for the sauce:
- 1 cup tahini
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
for the spice mix:
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Place quinoa, salt and water in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until boiling. Let simmer for about 15 minutes and remove from heat. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400. Mix rinsed chickpeas with one tablespoon of olive oil and spread out on a baking sheet. Combine the spice mix in a small bowl. Mix about half of spice mix, olive oil and cauliflower in a bowl until coated evenly. Adjust the amount of spice mix to suit your preference. Place cauliflower on a separate baking sheet. Roast cauliflower and chickpeas for about 25 minutes. Chick peas should be done at about 15 minutes when they start to turn a golden color. Cauliflower will be done when you can insert a fork easily into it. Squeeze lemon juice over roasted cauliflower. Sprinkle some extra spice mix over the chick peas.
- Mix together cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumber, red onion, mint and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Squeeze juice of one half lemon over the top.
- Mix together lemon tahini sauce ingredients in a bowl, adding water a few tablespoons at a time and stirring until you get a smooth consistency. Combine quinoa, chickpeas, cauliflower and veggies in separate serving bowls and drizzle lemon tahini sauce over the top.