If you have never roasted purple cabbage in the oven, now is the time. It is one of the most flavorful veggies ever! Ginny often roasts thin strips of green cabbage in the oven, which are delicious, but roasted purple cabbage is another level up in the flavor world. Throw in some roasted carrots with olive oil drizzled over them and you’ve got veggie heaven.
There is a layer of sweetness in the purple cabbage the green cabbage does not have.
I bought a 3 lb. rump roast from my farmer friend, Jane, a few weeks ago and wanted to do something really great with it…the Instant Pot, of course. I tackled smoking a pork butt a few weeks ago and could have spent some hours smoking the rump roast, but why do that when the Instant Pot will pressure cook it for me in 70 minutes?! This thing has really made my coking life easier!
Our first frost is rapidly approaching, which means all the outdoor herbs and plants must migrate inside very soon or they will perish. Perhaps this will be motivation to increase our herb collection so we don’t have to buy whole bunches of herbs when we need just a pinch for a recipe. Step One in buying local: make sure you’ve got your home herbs covered.
The pumpkins we carved last weekend went to mush very quickly. It probably had something to with this really humid weather. Anyway, we still have a couple uncarved pumpkins that will soon make their way into a delicious pumpkin curry.
Back to the recipe…there is nothing simpler than roasting fresh veggies in the oven and I am convinced there is also nothing more delicious. I remember my childhood meals when mom would simmer a can of green beans in some water on the stove. She was, and continues to be, a great cook, but things have come a long way since then. Fresh is the way to go. I never really liked cabbage as a kid, but this was probably because I associated it with some cheap knockoff of sauerkraut or some other unsavory form of cabbage. Now I know that roasting it is a whole different animal.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOK TIME: 70 minutes SERVINGS: 8
- 3 tbsp. bacon grease
- 3 lb. rump roast
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. pepper
- 1 cup dark red wine
For the veggies:
- one head purple cabbage, sliced in thin strips
- 1 lb. rinsed carrots
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Put in the bacon grease and sear the rump roast for a few minutes on both sides until slightly brown. I added the bacon grease for some extra fat to keep the meat moist because it was a lean cut.
- Add remaining ingredients and set pot to cook on pressure for 70 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place cabbage and carrots on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over them and throw in some salt. Bake for about 20 minutes or until carrots are easily cut with a fork.
- When roast is done, you can simmer the remaining liquid to thicken and it makes an excellent gravy!